Action Against Hunger works to save lives by combating hunger and diseases that threaten the lives of vulnerable communities, through nutrition, food security, water and sanitation, health and advocacy.
Title: WASH Technical Officer
Location: Maiduguri, Borno State
Starting date: As soon as possible
Direct Line Manager: RRM WASH Manager
Overall supervision of water, hygiene promotion and sanitation construction activities including preparing technical design and bills of quantities
Tasks & responsibilities
- Assist the RRM WASH Manager in the selection, design and construction of water systems, using ground water or surface water, including abstraction, storage, treatment and distribution for new systems or rehabilitation of existing systems.
- Provide technical assistance to the RRM team to assess sanitation needs, and design and implement the most appropriate form of sanitation system, in consultation with male and female beneficiaries, which includes excreta disposal, refuse disposal, vector control and drainage
- Work closely with hygiene promotion volunteers and ensure proper tracking of hygiene promotion sessions.
- Fully participate in and/or facilitate technical assessments.
- Consider different maintenance mechanisms, ensuring that they are appropriate to the local context and cultural norms and that facilities are sustainable.
- Ensure hygiene promotion and sanitation is integrated into all WASH activities.
- Continually assess emergency needs, as requested, especially taking in the broader perspective of public health.
- Ensure that work meets with SPHERE minimum standards.
- Ensure that all technical work reflects the needs and preferences of different target groups.
Train and build the capacity of staff and partners
Tasks & responsibilities
- Prepare training tools on relevant technical topics and conduct trainings for both internal staff and external stakeholders.
- Assist the RRM team in the development of technical guidelines and tools.
- Assess areas for improvement and recording lessons learnt for future activities.
- Facilitate the formation of water users committees and hygiene promotion volunteers.
- Train local communities on maintenance of WASH infrastructure/facilities.
Coordinate with internal staff and local stakeholders to ensure smooth project implementation
Tasks & responsibilities
- Liaise closely with the RRM team throughout the planning, design and implementation stages of the WASH technical and hygiene promotion activities. Hygiene promotion is a vital element in such infrastructure activities, especially in cholera responses.
- Ensure that effective communication and networking is developed and maintained through partnership and collaboration.
- Team with local Government and sectoral stakeholders/counterparts to exchange information on WASH technical implementation status.
- Ensure collaboration with RUWASA and BOSEPA in the implementation of WASH interventions.
INTERNAL & EXTERNAL RELATIONSHIP
- RRM WASH Manager: Technical hierarchical relationship – exchange of information, collaboration, coordination.
- PHP & NFI Officer: Collaborate with the hygiene promotion team to promote sanitation and maintenance of WASH facilities at the community level.
- Community Mobilization Officer: Collaborate with the community mobilization team in the promotion and social mobilization to ensure exchange of information, collaboration and coordination.
- Local governmental and non-governmental partners: exchange of information, coordination, training, supervision, influence on the choice of technical options.
- Local representatives of international aid organisations: exchange of information.
Degree in Water engineering, hydrology, civil engineering, Building and other related fields with a minimum of 3 years field experience.
SKILLS & EXPERIENCE
- Previous experience in supervising drilling and construction activities.
- Professional, good organizational capacity, motivated, open, creative, mature, responsible, flexible and, culturally sensitive.
- Good knowledge of appropriate technology for latrine construction, de-sludging and sludge treatment practices, water source development, solid waste management.
- Three years of relevant work experience.
- Microsoft Office and designing software Skills (AutoCAD, Outlook, Excel, Power Point, Word).
- Willing and able to be based and travel regularly within remote areas, where services are limited.
- Fluency in Hausa, Kanuri and English.
- Team and contractor management skills.
- Monitoring and reporting Skills.
- Thorough knowledge of WASH interventions using the SPHERE standards.
- Commitment to Action Against Hunger mission, values and policy.
- Previous experience of work in the humanitarian sector.
- Good knowledge of the intervention area/s and the local economy.
- Previous experience with Action Against Hunger.
The deadline for this position is Monday, April 1, 2019.
Apply for this job here